Pages

Monday, March 18, 2013

The Undesirable (Undesirable #1) by S. Celi Review ~Kami


The Undesirable (Undesirable #1)

by 
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16148033-the-undesirable
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B6F686S/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title
http://www.amazon.com/S.-Celi/e/B00B6JFD0G/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1



It is the year 2072 and this book starts with a very 1984 feel. There are propaganda signs saying the Party watches over you and to look out for Undesirables. Very reminiscent of Big Brother from the book 1984, not the reality show, just so we're clear. 18-year-old Charlotte has joined The Specialized Secret Resistance. The United States is at war with Canada over oil. People who can't work 12 hour days in sweatshops are killed. I immediately liked Charlotte because she is literary. I love a person who still finds a way to read books in a dystopian, dictatorship, military occupied world. The description of the 4D TV bothered me. The 4th dimension is time. So the TV is a time machine? Always bothers me when they talk about 4D movies with smellavision. I like a good dystopian story. I like the reminder that no matter how bad life is right now, things can be worse. I also like stories about people who have the strength and bravery to rebel and survive against horrible situations and injustice. This is a well written, fast paced story. It is not as gritty as I like my dystopias to be. It started out really exciting but then went down a bit for me. I still liked it, though. This is the beginning of a series so it ends abruptly. 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment